Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Rolling in Dough

Buttermilk wheat bread dough
No, I'm not one of the winners of that $640Million dollar lottery, I'm a self taught bread making maniac! A few months back, I decided that while I already cooked a lot, baked a lot and generally fed my family well, I wanted to utilize my big chest...wait for it...freezer to have a heap of healthy, homemade foods at the ready to meet the endless hunger of my 6ft tall and ever growing 16 year old MMA training boy and his Amazonian 12 year old sister. What a monumental task that was, but one I was truly excited to attempt. I started with sweet roll dough. That turned out well and was suprisingly easy so I moved on to Ciabatta breads. Those turned out consistently well also so, being me, I decided that it was time to try making my own bread. After spending some time rummaging around in the garage for the infrequently used electric bread machines I had obtained when my parents moved North, I finally unearthed one and cleaned it all up so I could make homemade bread the easy way. Well, as we all discover, the easy way isn't always the successful way. Loaf after loaf, no matter what recipe I tried, turned out with a sunken top or collapsed entirely. Boo.
     Cut to a few weeks of living on Ciabatta bread for sandwiches later and I had an epiphany! What if I made bread...In The Oven! What a concept! *Insert sarcastic smirk here* Winning! Making bread in the oven was not only successful, but quite addicting as well! I kept using the recipes (and I loosely follow them) out of my bread machine cookbooks, but I toyed around with baking times/temps and VOILA! Wheat bread, French bread, Dark chocolate cinnamon breads...You name it, I can make it! There's something so centering about the smell of bread baking. It's almost magical!

Shaped and doubled and ready to bake!


Fresh out of the oven!
Have any of you tried your hand at making bread? How did your experiments go?


Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Bread
Ciabatta Bread
Buttermilk Honey Wheat Bread
What's your favorite kind of bread?

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I love homemade bread! Fresh out of the oven before you are 'supposed' to cut it, butter melting :P my mother used to make it.. My fav. is sourdough, or breads with chewy grains, oh or russian black bread, rye bread too! I guess I love chewy rich breads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! The warm "bread head" is what the kids call it! We use real butter, too...It's a must! I have a recipe for Russian Black bread! I shall try that one, too. I am going to start my sourdough experiments after I get home from my trip next week. Whee!

      Delete